Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Windows Vista Compatibility

I have had Windows Vista running for some time now; since December 12th and I know some people have the same questions that I do about compatibility with programs and driver related problems.


Here are my system specs:
CPU: AMD Barton Mobile running at a true 2.5 with a PR of 3.6

Video Card: Sapphire X800 Pro VIVO running 525 Core 560 Memory
Motherboard: Asus A7N8X 2.0

Memory: 2x512 Corsair PC3200 PT


I will post a list of my programs that I have installed or have tried installing.


Programs that Work Fine: (All of these programs were installed without any complications either during installation or during the use of the applications)

3DMark06

AC3Fliter

Adobe Photoshop CS2
Alcohol 120%

ATI Catalyst Control Center

Battlefield 2

DivX Codec

EA Link

Half-Life 2

Java Runtime Environment 6

JGsoft EditPad Light 6.1.2

Logitech G11 Keyboard Software 1.03

Logitech Gaming Software (Steering Wheel)

MediaMonkey 2.5

Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.1

Need for SPeed Most Wanted

Oblivion

Oblivion Nights of the Nine + Addons

OpenAL

OpenOffice.org 2.1

Picasa 2

Shockwave

Steam

SwiftDisc 1.96
UTorrent

Ventrilo Client

VMware Player

Windows Live Messenger

WinRAR Archiver


Programs With Slight Problems:

ATITool – ATI Tool works fine however it does not have permission to startup at Windows startup, I was able to bypass that by switching my user to True Admin.

Azureus – It worked fine for a wile but for some reason it has just decided to not work anymore, it isn't that it doesnt work, but I do not get to see the status of my torrents or live updates, I know it is still downloading because in Statistics it shows that there is activity for the current session.

Crative Audio Console – Works OK, however I can not get the effects to work wile I am on the desktop, I like to listen to music, however sence it is not in 5.1 format it plays in 2.1 and normally you can use a filter called CM2 to make it play in a virtual 5.1 environment.

DVD Shrink 3.2 – Shrinks the DVD's fine however windows has a bug where it does not refresh the DVD Drive when a program is using it, thus when I stick a blank in after compressing my favourite movies it tells me that the DVD is blank and that the write process has failed. I counter this by taking the data and burning it manually.

Logitech ImageStudio – Works for taking picture with my Logitech QuickCam 3000 but crashes when attempting to take videos, I was hoping to use my Cam to make a Video blog about Vista.

Logitech QuickCam Software – Does not recognize my Web Cam however the software does run.

Logitech SetPoint – Same problem as with ATITool

Nero Suite – Works other then it keeps popping up with an error message saying that Windows Vista is not compatible with this software and if I would like to continue anyways.

NHL07 – Works great however due to an issue with the drivers it is stuck in 640x480 mode.

PowerISO – Works other then an error message that appears ever once in a wile stating that the drive is unaccessible.

VideoLan VLC Media Player 0.8.6 – My dad has gotten this program working on his computer but I am having no such luck, I get sound but no video. Which stinks because on one of my videos I can get get Video but no sound with Windows Media player.


Programs that Do Not Work:

Battlefield 2142 Full Demo (1 Month Full Trial) – I can sometimes get the game to run for a short period of time however it is inevitable that the game will crash shortly after getting into the game.

Need for Speed Carbon – Wont work, even with the posted work arounds that people have tried. (Please read my NFSC review for a little more insite Here)


Feel free to ask me any questions that you have.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you overcome the problems with Logitech Cam not being recognized? Similar issue on my system but cannot utilize cam then.

IcIrIs said...

I was not able to get it working, however I was able to use different software.

Anonymous said...

I know you left this post ages ago, but I recently got Logitech Image Studio and if you go into the Image Studio Directory and find ImgStd.exe (or something like that - it has a white webcam as its icon) right click it, go to compatibility, and check [run as administrator] AND [run as WINDOWS XP] then it records fine and no TVideoS error,

Michael

Anonymous said...

In July, 2008, Shockwave invaded my Vista machine with an "update" and now it does not work.I found a website with "corrections" that take an IT genious to run. Does anyone have a simple, one-click download with a compatable Shockwave program?

Anonymous said...

An useful review

Anonymous said...

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are not right. I am assured. Write to me in PM.

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are not right. I suggest it to discuss.