Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Getting the Most Out of Azureus or Other Torrent Clients

To be honest with you I was not totally pleased with my Torrent sharing experience till now. I was always reading about people downloading their “Demos” at speeds of up to 400kbps and that was very high sounding for me considering some of the highest speeds I ever saw for downloading big “Demos” was around the 40-50 maybe 60-70 if I was lucky. So I started doing my research into the subject of P2P and computer settings.


Here is what I am running network wise; a Shaw Cable-Cable line, and with Linksys routers and switches. As it is we have 3 computers on the network two used for gaming which both of us use torrent downloads to get a lot of our files and another machine that is used in the kitchen for sending emails and msn for the less computer savvy people in the family. The network is running 10/100mbits, so there is no bottleneck there.


I am currently using Azureus 2.4.0.2 even though there is a 2.5.0.0 version out currently.


The first thing that I have noticed that effects my download speed is my upload setting, it turns out that some clients are able to set the maximum you speed you are allowed to download off them based off of the speed of your upload, so having your upload bigger actually is better; however to do not want to have it too high as it will effect the overall net performance of your download as well, from all of the articles I have read it seems to be that 80% of your maximum upload is the magic number. To get your max speed, test it with a bandwidth tester. I myself use http://www.speedtest.net/ as it is easy on the eyes and almost anyone can use it.


The next big thing that effects your upload speed is the availability of your computer to the net, by this I mean that your computers ports that Azureus is using need to be open and ready to use. For people that are not running off a router and are going directly into your internet line you have nothing to worry about. However if you are running off of a router or some type of hardware firewall you will need to check to make sure that your “NAT/Server Port” is open. With Azureus you do these by clicking “Tools>Nat Firewall Test> Check” if the test comes back that it is open and working then great then you are ready to go, but if not then you need to change your hardware firewall to forward that port to you. There are many guides on the net for doing this I am not going to write any down as there are a vast variety of different firewalls and different ways of dealing with each.


Now for settings; let’s start with the transfer settings since they are the ones that will affect your transfer speeds. My currents settings are as follows.


Max Global Upload Speed: 25
Alternate Rate for Seeding [ ]
Max Global Download Speed: 0

Max Number Upload Slots per Torrent: 2

Alternate Default for seeding: [x] 4


The rest of the settings on that tab are set to 0, or unchecked.


Another big speed increase, and I can not stress this one enough, it is where I saw my biggest boost is with changing your TCPIP.SYS, no you do not have to do it yourself there is a tool that does it for you. What happened is with Service Pack 2 they have changed the number of Max TCPIP connections to 10, which means that you will only be able to download from 10 clients at a time per port. The address can be found at the bottom of this article.


I did a test to see how much of a difference this made; I put the setting back to the stock 10 with the same settings, restarted my computer and turned on a torrent. It was downloading at an average of 40 KBPS, what I was used to seeing. So I switched the setting to 100 max connections, restarted and waited a wile for the torrent to level off and it levelled off at about 140KBPS that is a 3X increase.


So I hope with some of these things the less advanced users of torrents can start experiencing torrents at the way it was meant to be experienced.


http://www.lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads – TCPIP.SYS utility.

No comments: